Sunday, January 22, 2012

Mirror Maintenance

After 30 years the mirror has accumulated a bit of grime.  Several choices.  1) New mirror - $79 and its not illuminated like the original.  2) Take it apart and replace the mirror inside.  Only place I could find the replacement mirror was High Wood Alfa in England.  With postage it will cost more than a new mirror, but at least I keep the original mirror holder and light.  3) Take the mirror in and try to get a new one cut.  I would lose the night dimming ability. 

4) Last choice is to take it apart and see if it can be cleaned.  Here's the original dirty mirror.


There is a frame around the mirror with a pane of glass.  Here's the frame removed. 


 Cleaned the interior of the glass and the mirror and popped it all back together.  Not completely like new, but much improved.  Now I have a clearer view of those giant SUVs bearing down on me from behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment